where to find coin in Malaysia

Do you know where to find coin in Malaysia? I am not talking about your circulation coin that you can received from your bank. My blog is about coin collecting; coins that were in circulation for only a brief time, coins minted with errors, beautiful or historically interesting coin, rare coin, proof coin, silver coin or gold coin and any coin that will be an interesting collection for me. Coin collecting can be differentiated from numismatics in that the latter is the study of currency. Though both are closely related, a numismatist may or may not be a coin collector and vice versa. I am not a numismatist, just a normal coin collector like the rest of you. I am also not a medal or token collector.


Before you look for your coin collection, the first thing I advice to you is find a good book for Malaysia coin collection. I will recommended Standard Catalogue of Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei coin & paper money by International Stamp and coin. International Stamp and coin own by Steven Tan, the icon for Malaysia Numismatic society. His coin shop is the oldest in Malaysia and he has achieve many out standing achievement in world numismatic. His book currently is in 18th edition and a new edition will be out in 2010.


Where do you find coin in Malaysia? The first place most of you will look for is your normal coin dealer. This is what I do when I started back on collecting coin in 2000. I will set a monthly budget and try to find my coin with my coin dealer. The advantages of this source is that the grading will be accurate, you will received a non clean coin and you can learn more about coin collecting from the seller. After certain period of time, I feel that buying from coin dealer is wasting my time and money. What if I can found their source of coin myself? Coin dealer must have their source of supplier beside their own collection. Maybe I can found a cheaper coin if I can found their supplier.


I started to look for other places for my coin collecting. I found out that most money changer in Malaysia put some banknote on display. It make me started to look for money changer across Malaysia every time I am going outstation. I found many of old banknote and coin in bulk. Most of the item I don't want to keep will be sold via lelong.com.my. You can found money changer in any part of this country. Some money changer can be found when you arrived at the airport. Just look for any coin or banknote on display and buy what do you like. Just make sure if you're buying for foreign money, you know the exchange rates. Some money changer do charge a bit high on some foreign currency.

Photo by: Ayana fotopages

Photo by: Ayana fotopages


Photo by: Ayana fotopages

Photo by: Ayana fotopages

When I started working in Pulau Pinang (Penang), I heard about roadwalk in lorong kulit. Lorong kulit situated near Penang old stadium and most local will know this place.Roadwalk is a flea market where you can buy antique, collectibles, hand phones, clothes and almost everything you need for everyday life. This is the best flea market in Malaysia. You can find around 20 to 30 seller who sell coin in this place. This flea market open as early as 7 am until afternoon everyday. Saturday and sunday is the best day for your coin hunting in this place.

I also started to look for other similar flea market. Working almost a year in Butterworth, I never know that Butterworth also have the same kind of flea market but smaller in sizes of seller. Butterworth roadwalk situated in Taman Selat area near the chain ferry. If you're going to Penang using a ferry, just look for shop lots with many banks or asked people where is Taman Selat. I found many great friends in Butterworth Roadwalk. The difference from lorong kulit and Butterworth Roadwalk is that you can find a regular coin dealer in Butterworth Roadwalk.

In Sabah, flea market called "tamu". It is  a morning market where you can find local foods, pets, craft, flower, local fruit, antique and mostly all item that we used in everyday life. If you're looking for coin and banknote in tamu, you need to go to "Tamu besar" like Gaya Street Tamu in Kotakinabalu, Tamu Tuaran or Tamu Kota Belud. Only Gaya street tamu has a frequent coin and banknote seller. Gaya Street Tamu is on Sunday and will be open from 6 am up until 1 pm. this is a must visit place for all tourist coming to Kota Kinabalu.

When I started to work in Selangor, I found out that there is some coin seller that you can found in 4D shop. 4D shop including Magnum, Sport Toto or Jackpot. They will start their business when this 4D shop open or having a 4D result day. Some also open a displaying cabinet in 4D shop. I don't find any similar seller in other states yet. If any of you found any similar seller in your states, please do inform me via email or reply to this post.

Antique shop also a very good source for your coin collection. Most antique shop can be found in any part of Malaysia. Just make sure you know the price of the item you want to buy since some antique shop will put a high price on old silver coin. I found many beautiful unclean coin in antique shop. Some antique shop will put their coin collection in a drawer. You need to asked them if they have any coin for sale. You might be amazed on what you will find.

Another source of my coin collection is buying it online. I started buying online in lelong.com.my. this site is the best online flea market in 2003-2005. If you're unsure about some seller in this site, feel free to asked me via e-mail. I am stop my sale in lelong now since this site have many issue that is not settle and giving a low traffic to seller like me. Lelong.com.my started its business as a place where you can find second hand item. Today, lelong is an online Petaling Street with to many conman and fake items on sale.


A new online place for buying item online is mudah.com.my. The only big problem in mudah.com.my is that anyone can put their advertisement online. Even if that particular person done have any item for sale. The best thing to do is asked recommendation from your friend before you buy anything from mudah.com.my. It is an easy place to put my ads in Mudah.com.my since I don't need to do anything after posting my ads or my sale item. Just wait for buyer to contact me to conclude a deal and it will not cost me anything.

Trading online also help me found a runner in this business. I am not talking about runner who running for a race like Usain Bolt who is the fastest men on earth right now. Runner is a person who will be finding an item for you. You just need to contact them and asked them if they have any coin for sale. Most of this runner is based in Penang or Kuala Lumpur. Some of them work in bank or Bank Negara. Please don't asked me for their contact number. Giving you their contact number will make you as my competitor. You need to find your own runner. I am just sharing what is my coin source come from.

I hope this post will help you understand where to find coin in Malaysia. Do you already have the same coin source from any of my tips in here or do you have other coin source that you can share? Please share it in here or you can e-mail me at lunaticg[at]gmail[dot]com.

Related posts:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Safank Fank

Video Gallery