My 21 December 2008 hunting trip, KTM Butterworth Money Changer

0n 18 until 21 December 2008, I making a road trip to Alor Setar, Kedah and Penang in Malaysia. At first, I am planning to go to other Malaysia place which I haven't explored yet; Kuching but I change my trip to this place. I also planning to go to Thailand but I cancelled the trip due to security reasons and it is a bit hard to go in there with an image of a riot happening in Thailand airport recently. Alor setar is famous for its pekan Rabu, Menara Alor Setar and Ikan Pekasam. Penang is famous for its nasi kandar, KOMTAR building, ferry services and Penang Bridge.

I am not very familiar with Alor Setar and I cannot find any coin and banknote dealer in this town. This is my first time traveling alone to Alor Setar and I am not lucky enough in looking for old coin and antique here. A friend told me that there is a flea market in Alor Setar selling antiques and collectibles. I cannot find that place since I am still new about this town road and places. Maybe will be going to this places again next time.


Penang is a food heaven in Malaysia and also and antique heaven for collector like me. I go to Penang almost once a year and never failed to bring back antique with me. This is my 4th trip to Penang this year. Will be planning to go to Penang again after Chinese New Year Next Year. For this trip, I only have time on 21 December and I can only target my hunt for banknote and coin. I arrived in Butterworth at 1pm after having a lunch at the famous Din Ikan Bakar Restaurant in Kepala Batas.



Upon arrival I go to jetty and look for one money changer shop in Butterworth Keretapi Tanah Melayu building. Penang have many money changer and it is a best source for you to check for banknote and coin that interest you. I arrived on Sunday and not many Money Changer open in Sunday. I knew the only money changer open during this day is at this KTM building. It is very easy to find this place. Just look for a Penang ferry and go to Butterworth jetty. You can find this KTM building when you can see two old locomotive in front of this building.

The best time to go buy banknotes and coin in Money Changer across Penang is before school Holiday (March until September). There will be less people during that time and many choices for collector like me. Al Bakihath Forex Sdn Bhd is owned by Mohamed Sirajuddin and an authorized money changer. You can contact them via this number 012-4584576, 04-3327040 or 04-3321337. They have many old banknotes especially Malaysia banknote and Queen Elizabeth Malaya and British Borneo Banknote. You need to bargain and don't forget to asked if they kept any similar banknote on display in their drawer (they always do). Most of time for my trip here, the best banknote is kept in their drawer not on display. You need to go early morning when you want to get the best bargain price. Trust me, It will be hard to bargaining about the price after 12pm.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Safank Fank

Video Gallery