Bacacay, The Land of Bs

Let me tell you this. My father’s name is Levi Baliza, his middle name is Basquiñas. My mother’s name (before marriage) is Rose Bermundo, her middle name is Bertumen. This is how I acquired my name – Ryan Bermundo Baliza.

I don’t know what to feel about this but let me tell you that in Bacacay alone there are three Ryan Baliza(s) presently in existence. I haven’t met the two but I learned about them when I went over a municipal record. I can forgive the thought that there are many Ryan(s) in this cookie cutter world, but the thing that I am also sharing ‘Baliza’ with other 2 Ryan(s) is no longer fun.

Forgive me for being mean about this matter, but I’m pretty sure you too wouldn’t love the idea to have duplicates by name. Every person strives to be in any way unique and that’s my whole point. (peace to all Ryan Baliza(s) everywhere)

Anyways, that’s not the thing I want to stress out in my post. If you’ve noticed, the family names that both my parents acquired start with letter ‘B’. And if you are a Bacacayano or at least a friend or relative of one, you have probably noticed that most Bacacayano family names start with letter ‘B’. Consider my friends’ family names - Belen, Bellen, Bibal, Barrameda, Base, Bustamante, Barnedo, Barcebal, Biescas, Baldon, Bermas, Bernarte, Balaguer, Ballatan, Bermillo, Belleza, Bercasio, Balmedina, Baraquiel, Bonto, Baron, Bibon, Banzagales, Balute, Binamira, Bas, Basmayor, and a lot more. Bacacay is indeed a land of Bs.

I recall my former college professors, during a roll call, they would ask me, “Are you from Bacacay? Then I would answer “Yes”. I knew it… It’s because my family name starts with letter ‘B’. It’s a puzzle to me why the letter B is too common to most Bacacayano family names as the first letter. It makes me wonder - how were these names formulated in the first place? And if these names were formulated by choice, what made our ancestors choose the letter B as the first letter?
You may find my questions funny and even think of me as stupid. It’s ok though. I just want to learn. So I if you have opinions, feel free to share them. Tnx!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Safank Fank

Video Gallery